KHIMOD FOR ENERGY
KHIMOD's developments for energy rely on catalysis chemical synthesis of carbon oxides and hydrogen to hydrocarbon:
- Methane (CH4)
- Heavier hydrocarbon molecules, from propane to liquid fuels such as kerosene.
Catalytic production of synthetic methane from carbon dioxide and hydrogen offers a solution to several increasing needs:
- Storage of excess renewable energy
- Closing of carbon cycle by recycling emitted CO2 aimed toward:
- Waste treatment & repurposing
- Air processing
This synthetic methane reduced CO2 footprint can address several uses:
- Network injection
- Carried gas
- Electric grid stability for Non-Interconnected Areas (NIA)
Synthetic methane is the simplest way to carry & use hydrogen within existing gas infrastructures.
Benefits of synthetic methane production by KHIMOD units are:
- Carbon dioxide to methane conversion rate higher than 95%
- Energy efficiency of conversion higher than 92% with heat valorization
- Small quantity of catalysts; lower than 0.5 kg per Nm3/h of methane capacity of production
- Heat Exchanger-Reactor lifetime of over 20 years
- Cost-effective production
- High recyclability of KHIMOD units
- Very low CO2 footprint demonstrated by Life Cycle Analysis
Longer hydrocarbon molecules are obtained using the so-called Fischer-Tropsch reaction.
The innovative KHIMOD Heat Exchanger-Reactor enables selectivity on produced synthetic hydrocarbon.
Depending on the targeted use, the output of KHIMOD units running the Fischer-Tropsch reaction can vary:
- Lighter hydrocarbon (propane, butane) for carried gas or mobility with LPG*
- Heavier hydrocarbon for ground transportation (diesel) or aircrafts (kerosene)
*LPG : Liquid Petroleum Gas
The synthetic hydrocarbon produced by KHIMOD units has the following benefits:
- Limited post-treatment of produced hydrocarbon in refinery due to a high level of selectivity
- Virtuous synthetic hydrocarbon with a very low CO2 footprint
- On-demand production for isolated sites with no hydrocarbon transportation and no distribution infrastructure (either pipeline or ground transportation)
When addressing other catalytic syntheses such as the production of methanol directly from carbon oxides and hydrogen, KHIMOD's Heat Exchanger-Reactor is unique in terms of efficiency and safety.